Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Don't forget your pan of bars for the potluck on Sunday...

This is a certain colloquialism I miss.  I grew up the Midwest, home of the potluck and the lutefisk feed.  For the past eight years however, I have been living in the nation's two largest cities (did I mention I grew up on a farm?!?) moving back and forth between the two as it suits my husband's career.  In one city homes are too tiny to host potlucks and most social gatherings take place at a restaurant - maybe the park if the weather cooperates; in the other city people are so conscious of what they are eating that potlucks consist of carrot sticks and fruit salad! 
I long for a get together where the dessert table is more massive than the main dish (hot dishes & casseroles, naturally) table, a table laden with cake and jelly roll pans filled with BARS!
Sure these cities have cupcakes galore (and I LOVE cupcakes too!) but I have had such a hard time finding a good peanut butter bar coated in chocolate or a butterscotch blondie or an oatmeal raisin bar.  I love looking through old 4-H cook books and my mom's recipe cards and making my own but I ALWAYS end up eating the entire pan by myself - my husband was not born in the Midwest, I don't think he is Scandinavian in the least, and therefore does not share the same sweet tooth (I married well - I get to eat all of the frosting he scrapes off his cake when we go to weddings!), thus the burden I hold.
But what if I open a bar bar?

No comments:

Post a Comment