Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Land of 10,000 Lakes

Whenever I drive by a car with license plates from my home state I wave to the driver.  Whenever I see people wearing licensed apparel of my hometown teams I stop to talk as if we know each other - most of the time the person I stop to talk to tells me they won the T-shirt in a raffle or that they just happen to like the color purple.  I can't help it, I long for a connection to home.
Several years ago when I left the Land of 10,000 Lakes to begin my career in the Big Apple, I had budgeted to live for 3 months on savings until I received my first actual paycheck.  Needless to say, my budget didn't allow for any luxuries...  Well, I take that back - on Fridays I would splurge on a slice of $.99 pizza at the shop next door to where I worked, but every other day I ate a carefully planned brown-bag lunch.
The one other splurge in which I indulged was butter.  I still do it to this day.  I almost always buy a certain brand of butter simply because it is made at home.  It is silly really because it hardly ever goes on sale like it's local buddies but I like the picture on the box and most importantly I crave that kinship.
Because of my loyal patronage, sometimes I receive brand recipe booklets.  Last week I tried:
http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/1866/coconut-cream-bars
My mom had made them before and said they were always  a huge hit at (what else?) potlucks.
They were indeed quite popular at my social gathering (one friend is allergic to chocolate and another to nuts - so finding just the right treat can be tricky).  I made both the frosting and coconut pink because I love pink and I can justify it with Valentine's approaching.  It was my intention to photograph the bars on a sweet, little pink tray but just as my mom had said, they were a huge hit and were gone before I had a chance.  I think I will call them - coconut dream bars.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I was in LA to still be reaping the benefits of your baking! I love your Bar Bar!!

    ReplyDelete